Have you ever noticed the armor of God has no pants???
Well…that is partly meant as a joke but there is some serious spiritual teaching there.
Ephesians 6:10-17 speaks about the whole armor of God.
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rules of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Then we get into the armor itself….
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;…..”
So here we have the armor and one weapon…the Word of God. The pieces of armor are as follows:
- The waist is girded with truth. This part of the body contains vital organs necessary for our survival. But from a spiritual aspect, the waist is what pivots the body side to side. There are many things in our life here on earth that would seek to turn us or pivot us and keep us from looking forward at the path God has laid out for us. The truth is what keeps us centered.
- The breastplate of righteousness guards our heart. It keeps our heart stayed on Him. It is our love for Him that keeps our heart from sin. We are the righteousness of God IN Christ and this part of our armor keeps our heart secure in Him.
- The feet are shod (shod means a covering for the foot…a shoe) with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Our feet not only help to carry us from one place to another but they also support the weight of the entire body. They carry us where we need to go and help keep us standing. Our feet being shod with the preparation of the gospel means they will keep us standing in the Word and support us through difficult trials.
- The shield of faith guards the body. It keeps the attacks of the enemy (those fiery darts) from touching us. Our faith is what keeps us moving forward through barrage after barrage of darts thrown our way.
- The helmet of salvation guards our mind. Our salvation is secure in Christ. The enemy wants us to question that fact. He likes to tell us lies and make us believe we are too far gone to be forgiven. The helmet of salvation, the knowledge of Christ’s redemption, keeps our minds secure.
- Here we have not armor, but a weapon. It is the sword of the Spirit. It tells us that God fights our battles for us. Remember verse twelve tells us we wrestle not against flesh and blood. Christ does our battles for us. Any time the enemy makes us feel that we are fighting man, fighting sickness, fighting injustice…we need to remember that it is the work of the Spirit who is to do battle…not us. And how does HE do that? Through his WORD! Jesus battled the enemy using God’s word!
So that leads me to the pants. It would seem as though all parts of our body are covered but our legs. I know many people say the back is exposed but in reality there is some indication that the armor of that day had a covering in front and back, much like the Roman armor did. It went on like a shirt so it is believed the back was in fact covered to protect the vital organs. So I won’t discuss that here. You can research that if you’d like.
The one part of the body not covered at all by God’s armor are the legs.The one part of the body not covered at all by God's armor are the legs. #armor #jesus #salvation Click To Tweet
So what do the legs do? They help us walk. They bear the weight of the body. Wouldn’t the enemy try to affect our walk? Wouldn’t the enemy try to affect us going where God leads us?
I believe the reason why God did not tell us to arm our legs is because, for a Christian, a major function of our legs is kneeling. We are to kneel in prayer and worship! It is through prayer and worship that all the other armor operates but also, when your knees are bended beneath you, they are covered by the body. Oh did you get that?? When the Church bends their knees in prayer they are COVERED BY THE BODY OF CHRIST! You are covered not only by YOUR body but you are covered in prayer through the Body of Christ! Through our sisters and brothers who lift us up in prayer as a Church! You are covered by Jesus who intercedes for us! You are covered by the Spirit who intercedes for us! When you get in prayer and get in agreement with the will of God you are COVERED!! I am preachin’ now!!It is through prayer and worship that all the other armor operates Click To Tweet
We fight the enemy in PRAYER! We do battle in PRAYER! It is THROUGH prayer and study of the Word that our armor gets put on. Without prayer…without kneeling before our God in prayer and worship, we could not properly arm ourselves. And through prayer and through our armor, our walk is secure and the weight of the body..the Church.. is placed on Him.I am preachin' now!! Click To Tweet
We wrestle not against flesh and blood. We should remember that these days as we get on social media with its endless debates and with people removing people from their lives over politics. We wrestle not against our husbands and children. We are busy fighting battles that aren’t ours to fight!! We are called to fight one battle and one enemy and the armor we need to resist his attacks is given to us by God!!
The best way to do battle in the spiritual realm is to get on our knees…sword of the Spirit in hand! And then with your armor secure, walk the walk of faith and let God bear the weight of our burdens and let God do battle with us and for us!!
The best way to do battle in the spiritual realm is to get on our knees...sword of the Spirit in… Click To Tweet