Do you struggle to walk in victory as a believer? Do you have a head knowledge of all the Lord provides for you in the way of freedom and peace but you can’t seem to live in it?
While it may take baby steps, you can begin to realize that peace and that victory so read on and learn how you can begin to walk in the victory Jesus won for you!
Walk in Victory – It’s Easy When You Know the Outcome
Whether you liked the outcome or not, one of the greatest football games was Superbowl LI between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons.
As a Patriots fan (grew up in New England), I remember watching the game and how bad I felt as my team was down 28-3 with 2:12 left in the 3rd quarter.
At that point, it felt like all hope was lost.
Each negative play hurt more than the previous one.
They then executed the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history and I felt amazing!
And because it was such a great game, I watched the replay about a week later. When rewatching the game, I did not feel stressed or sad when the Patriots were down or had a bad play.
Knowing how the story ends, how does this change the way we should look at life when met with trials and setbacks?
How should we deal with financial struggles when we know the most important debt has been paid by the blood of Jesus? (Read 1 John 1:7) How can we deal with loss of loved ones knowing that in the end there will be no more death and pain? (Read Revelation 21:4)
I know it’s not always easy to live a life of victory in Jesus. There are a lot of factors that can take us down, like sin or the current culture or world around us. It is SO easy to become discouraged and feel beaten down by it all.
But there is a way and here is how you can start.Knowing how the story ends, how does this change the way we should look at life when met with trials and setbacks? #victory Click To Tweet
Study Your Playbook!
One of the keys to victory and a great comeback is to study your playbook. When you study your playbook, you know what play to run in ever-changing situations.
God’s Word is our playbook.
As written in 2 Timothy 3:16-17:
When you know the playbook, you are then able to execute the plays with a greater chance of success. So read your playbook, study it, for it will help you execute the plays of your life towards a victory no matter how far down you may be.
In addition to the playbook, we have the greatest “head coach” of all time in Christ Jesus through the Holy Spirit. We have our General Manager and Owner of all creation in our Lord God. With the correct playbook and guidance from our coaches, defeat is not an option.
Take part in a Bible study or read on your own and begin to memorize scripture so you can recall that “playbook” just when you need it.
How to Live in Victory – The Bible Tells Us Who Wins!
The Bible is very clear about who wins in the end and I love how it says that through our faith, Jesus will win the victory! (1 John 5:4)
It’s so important to know what God has said regarding this topic.
When we have a firm belief in the true outcome of things, then that can help us walk in victory!
Remember…watch the replay! When you see life knowing how the end turns out, we won’t stress when things don’t go our way!
God has equipped us to fight through the battles that come our way and walk in victory!
Be Prepared to Fight the Good Fight
1 Peter 5:8 says we are to be alert and always ready for a defense.
It’s so important that we walk daily with Jesus, spending time getting to know him and seeking his plan for our lives while he is preparing us for each day.
We have spiritual enemies who want nothing more than our defeat. We need to always be prepared to respond.
But our help comes from the Lord who sits in Heavenly places and the Holy Spirit who directs our steps in the wisdom of God through His Word.God has equipped us to fight through the battles that come our way and walk in victory! Click To Tweet
How God Guides Us Through Our Battles
Philippians 4:13 says we can do everything through Christ who gives us strength.
It’s important for us to seek God and walk with him each day so that he can guide us throughout the difficult times of our lives. God promises He is faithful, and when we walk with Him, He will show us the way!
Choose Your Weapons
Ephesians 6:10-18 says we are to use every weapon in our spiritual arsenal.
The authority of God and His Word equips us with everything that we will need to walk in victory!
We have His Word, prayer, and the Holy Spirit. It is so important for us as believers to walk daily in His promises and provision (along with God’s guidance) so that we walk in victory!
Don’t Fear the Enemy
1 Peter 5:7 says we should cast all our cares on Him because he cares for us.
It is SO important to walk through life without fear, trusting God and his promises.
We are not walking this walk alone, but with Jesus at our side.
We shouldn’t walk in fear or worry about what the world or the enemy will throw at us! The law of the spirit of life has saved us from the law of sin and death.
Be Disciplined and Self-Controlled
It’s so important for us as Christians to walk closely with God and be willing to walk through the difficult times with Him.
That means we have to walk according to His will for our lives. It also means that we walk in a way that honors God as we are a new creation!
We no longer seek after our own flesh giving in to temptations of many kinds but we seek after that which pleases and honors Him.
Be Ready to Fight the Good Fight Again
When things come up against us, and they will, it’s so important for us as believers to walk through them faithfully.
1 Peter 5:9-10 says we must be willing to walk through the same thing over and over if that is what it takes for us to walk in victory!
That is such an encouraging thought — that even if we have to walk through trials repeatedly, God will still walk with us every step of the way!
How Do We Walk in Victory in Jesus?
- Knowing What Victory in Jesus Looks like? – Victory in Jesus is walking through our lives by the power of God and not by our own strength. It’s a walk lived as a child of God, knowing that He is bigger than any situation we walk through. Walking in victory means to walk confidently and walk fearlessly because you know who you are in Christ!
- How Can We Walk in Victory? – To first walk in victory we must know the truth of who we are in Christ. When we walk knowing that he has overcome the world, that gives us strength to walk through any tough situation.
A second way to walk in victory is by having a strong faith in God’s Word and knowing it will never fail you! You can walk fearlessly into any situation knowing that God will bring you through victory as long as you walk closely with him.
- Confess Your Sins and Ask for Forgiveness from the Lord (and others) – One of the most important things we can do to walk in victory is walk in obedience to God and walk humble before Him.
Confessing our sins brings freedom, not only for ourselves but also for others around us. Asking for forgiveness from God when we walk through sin sets us free, and that brings glory to God! Asking forgiveness from those we have hurt will free us from guilt and heal relationships.
- Resist Temptation By Refusing to Give in to it When it Presents Itself to You – There will be tough times where we walk through temptations, but as believers to walk in victory we must walk resisting it and know that God can help us walk triumphantly through them!
Use the Word as a defense against temptation. Jesus used the Word of God to defeat the devil in the wilderness. We should also do the same!
- Study and Learn the Word – To walk in victory we must walk according to the Word of God. It is a lamp to our feet and a light to guide our path, and it will help us in our walk through tough times! It gives us strength and courage because we know we are not walking this walk on our own!
- Pray – Prayer is one of the most important parts of walking in victory! God wants to be us and see us through our most difficult times. When we pray, we strengthen our relationship with him, and He gives us the strength to walk in victory!
- Find Joy and Peace in Knowing That Jesus Has Already Won the Battle for Us on the Cross – Jesus has already won the battle on Calvary! You can live in victory because He conquered sin and death, fear and the grave, and all that is left to do is walk in that truth.
Learn how to walk confidently through your life, knowing that He will be with you every step of the way. Find joy in your life no matter what comes against you knowing He already paid the price.
- Put on the Full Armor of God – Putting on the protection that the Word says a believer should arm ourselves with every day will protect us against the schemes and traps of the enemy! The full armor of God is a powerful tool to walk in victory through tough times!
Having the Confidence to Walk in Victory
One passage that is so encouraging is Romans 8:28-30, which says,
My prayer is that this article will encourage you to walk in victory even when times get tough and you go through the midst of trials.
You may be down 28-3, in the second half of your life and you wonder if there is enough time left on your scoreboard to achieve victory. I am here to tell you that there is! No matter how far behind you may feel, just start to execute the playbook as written in His word and you will get there.
May the walk that Jesus gives us be one of confidence, where we walk knowing that he is with us every step of the way and that he has already won the battle for us on the cross. You can have an abundant life, rich in faith without fear of tomorrow.
There is no need to fear any situation when walking in Him! He is always faithful, and you can walk confidently knowing that you are not alone!
Dr. Dave Ferreira is Diane’s wonderful husband! He is an Administrator in Higher Education and is the founder of a not for profit charity. Dave has also owned a traditional business and is well versed in business start-ups, grant writing, and non-profit formations. He is the author of the book Insider’s Guide to College Etiquette. Dave is also very active in his congregation.
NASB – “Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. Copyright by The Lockman Foundation“